Work Effectively with Culturally Diverse Clients & Co-Workers
Working in aged care, you can expect to work with clients and other workers from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- All workers in the aged care sector, or those working with older people
By the end of this course, you'll be able to:
- Consider diversity of client needs
- Understand the impact on a client's behaviour
- Understand the needs of culturally diverse clients
- Work effectively with culturally diverse clients and co-workers
Australia's older population is multicultural and linguistically diverse. Working in aged care you can expect to work with clients and other workers from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds on a daily basis. It is essential that aged care workers understand the cultural factors that influence their work relationships and practices, and the delivery of a culturally appropriate service.
This includes being able to consider the diversity of their clients’ values, beliefs and cultural expectations, to recognise that ethnicity and culture may have an impact on a client’s behaviour and to educate yourself wherever possible to enhance your understanding and to address the needs of culturally diverse clients.